The Hockaday School is seeking a full-time Health and Physical Education Teacher to join the PK-12 Athletics and Wellness Department. The Health Physical Education Teacher position is a full-time position beginning in August 2020. He/she has primary responsibilities for the instruction of a quality health and physical education program to serve all Hockaday students and coach two seasons as assigned by the Director of Athletics. He/she will commit to learn about and support the school’s tenets of faculty excellence.
• Plan and instruct physical education classes for PreK-12 students emphasizing safety, fun, and skill development.
• Plan and instruct health classes for grades 6-12 students.
• Evaluate and assess student performance in health and physical education classes.
• Communicate effectively with students, faculty, and parents about student progress.
• Collaborate and participate actively in the work of the Department on innovative curriculum design and program development.
• Participate actively in the school community, which includes coaching a minimum of two seasons with the Athletics department.
• Maintain excellent professional and collaborative relationships with colleagues.
• Support disciplinary literacy by connecting Physical Education lessons with what is learned in the classroom.
• Commit to personal growth through active participation in professional development.
• CPR, AED, First Aid, and Automatic External Defibrillator (AED), with instructor certification a plus.
• A record of integrity and the ability to inspire students and athletes to perform at a high level
• Strong leadership, motivational, interpersonal, and organizational skills
• Computer literacy and technological proficiency
• Effective classroom management skills
• Demonstrate a love of teaching Physical Education and Health and possess the desire to nurture and shape the lives of young students through physical movement, health, and creative play
• Swim instruction experience with a youth-based aquatics program, having gained American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification or similar qualification.
• Experience with a broad range of physical education classes, health classes including team sports, alternative sports, and strength and conditioning.
• Experience playing and/or coaching a team sport at the high school level; playing and/or coaching at the college level preferred.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
• This position may require the ability to occasionally lift or move items weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Regularly works in outdoors in varying weather conditions and climate; occasionally works in standard office conditions and climate
• Regularly uses close and distance vision, ability to observe students from various distances
• Sometimes works in a stressful environment, effectively dealing with a diverse array of contacts, Stamina to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions, particularly with respect to adequate supervision and safety of student-athletes
• Ability to frequently work flexible hours to support events sponsored by the Athletics & Wellness Department, including weekends.
About The Hockaday School
The Hockaday School is an independent, college preparatory day and boarding school for girls of strong potential and diverse backgrounds who may be expected to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in a rapidly changing world. With an enrollment of almost 1,100 students, The Hockaday School is the nation’s largest prekindergarten through grade 12 independent girls’ school. Ranked among the country’s finest college preparatory schools, it was founded over a century ago and continues today to build on its original Four Cornerstones: Character, Courtesy, Scholarship, and Athletics.
Hockaday’s faculty are recognized as experienced leaders in their field and students in every grade benefit from outstanding faculty and access to unmatched resources. Families who choose Hockaday care deeply about providing their daughters with a comprehensive and rigorous education, both inside and outside the classroom. Hockaday’s student body reflects the diversity that is deeply valued by the School. While most Hockaday families come from across the great Dallas-Fort Worth area, Hockaday students also come from across the United States and around the world.
The Hockaday School is an ...extraordinary place to work, with bright and engaged students and unparalleled professional development opportunities and support.
Mission Statement: Believing in the limitless potential of girls, Hockaday develops resilient, confident women who are educated and inspired to lead lives of purpose and impact.