About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, we've been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit www.mills.edu.
Job Description:Lifeguard / Swim Instructor
Salary:between $12.86 and $16.00/hour
The Trefethen Aquatic Center is looking for new Lifeguards and Swim Instructors to add to their aquatic team. All staff members are expected to work as both a Lifeguard and a Swim Instructor.
Essential Job Functions:
- Arrive to work on-time and properly attired to perform duties.
- Enforce facility rules and follow policies and procedures.
- Open and Close the pool according to guidelines set by the Trefethen Aquatics Center.
- Teach swim lessons as needed.
- Assist in day-to-day operations (including, but not limited to, staff scheduling, submitting time sheets, light cleaning, and checking water chemistry).
- Addressing issues of concern with patrons.
- Takes initiative to ensure safety in the facility.
- Effectively scan their zone of protection and be able to respond to any emergency.
- Limits conversation with members, guests, and other staff members in order to maintain effective scanning.
- Anticipate, recognize, and react to all aquatic emergencies, and provide necessary reporting to direct supervisor.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time while maintaining optimum scanning vigilance of the pool.
- Must follow all policies and procedures set forth in the Mills College Aquatic Center Staff Policy Handbook.
- Maintain a professional demeanor during scheduled shift.
- Uphold a standard of care in all aquatic emergencies.
- Respond to all aquatic emergencies as described by the Emergency Action Plan.
- If needed, finds an appropriate approved staff member to substitute for scheduled shift at least 24 hours prior to scheduled shift.
Other reasonable duties and tasks as assigned by a supervisor for the benefit of the Aquatics Department.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Education and Training:
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
Compensation:This is a temporary, part-time position that begins as soon as possible. Additional semester appointments are possible, based on job performance. The pay is commensurate with experience and certification (between $12.86 and $16.00/hour). Mandated benefits, including Social Security, State Disability Insurance, Workers' Compensation, Unemployment Insurance, and sick leave are included.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, pleased go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and 3 references,along with the Mills online application.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.