Department: University Life Activities
Aqua Aerobics Program Instructor
George Mason University Mason Recreation, within the Division of University Life, invites applications for an Aqua Aerobics Program Instructor at the Aquatic and Fitness Center (AFC). George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Mason Recreation meets the diverse needs and interest of the Mason community by providing programs, services and facilities that are innovative, comprehensive, inclusive, and of unsurpassed quality. Mason Recreation creates an atmosphere that encourages individuals to develop lifelong involvement in recreational, fitness and wellness activities through both structured and informal opportunities that meet the dynamic needs of our diverse community. We are committed to enhancing the quality of life for the Mason community by fostering leaders, encouraging healthy lifestyles, promoting learning, and developing meaningful social interactions.
The Aqua Aerobics Program Instructor position is an integral part of the aquatic program at Mason Recreation. Under the supervision of the Aquatic Director, the incumbent plays a significant role in maintaining a safe and pleasant environment for the class participants.
- Ensure the safety of class participants through consistent and equitable enforcement of George Mason University AFC policies and procedures, and the Aqua Aerobics Program's policies and procedures;
- Teach according to training received through a nationally recognized organization while following the guidelines of Mason Recreation Aquatics Program;
- Observe the rules of the AFC;
- Arrive on time prepared to instruct; and
- Maintain an acceptable level of knowledge through a personal commitment to learning new information and instructional techniques.
- Be a positive representative of University Life and Mason Recreation;
- Complete appropriate paperwork in a timely manner;
- Wear appropriate uniform; and
- Set up and clean up for class.
- National certification is required (Aquatic Exercise Association is preferred); and
- Instructors should have some knowledge of water aerobics through previous experience in teaching or program participation.
Salary: $25 per hour; commensurate with education and experience.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number WG5545 at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.